Far too many people in the Sierra Vista, Arizona area are struggling because of alcohol addiction, or alcohol use disorder. There are many options available to them in the local area for alcohol rehab, but many are either not aware of them or they feel they might not work. Either way, there are far fewer people seeking treatment than there should be.
There is no denying the fact that recovering from an alcohol addiction can be a challenge. Many people attempt to, but they are unsuccessful because they did not get the right type of support. It is our belief that professional treatment is the key to recovering from alcohol use disorder.
We want to do everything we can to help people recover from alcohol addiction. That is why we have put together this helpful guide to alcohol rehab in the Sierra Vista, Arizona area. It is our hope that more people will see the need to get help and feel empowered to get the support necessary for them to recover.
Alcohol Abuse and Addiction Statistics in Sierra Vista, Arizona and Cochise County
It is sad to think of how many people in the Sierra Vista area are struggling because of their alcohol addictions. Many feel hopeless, and that is evident in the following statistics.
According to the 2020 Community Health Needs Assessment that was completed by Copper Queen Community Hospital for Cochise County:
- In 2014 and 2015, alcohol dependence and other mental health disorders were among the top 10 most common inpatient diagnoses.
- 4.3% (or 373 people) were all in the hospital because of either a mental health condition, alcohol abuse or both.
- Alcohol abuse was mentioned as the second most risky behavior people engage in within Cochise County.
- Deaths from suicide and alcohol abuse are higher in Cochise County than the national average.
- About 50% of people who have severe mental health disorders also abuse alcohol or other drugs.
- Mental health issues were listed as the top health concern among people in the county.
The Cochise Health and Social Services Department also released its own Community Health Needs Assessment in 2017. They found that:
- 814 people believe that alcohol abuse is the highest risky behavior in Cochise County.
- When asked what their biggest health issues are in their community, the top two responses were substance and alcohol abuse and mental health.
- Mental health issues and alcohol abuse are both contributing to the poor health of the people in Cochise County at an alarming rate.
The Chiricahua Community Health Center also provided a Health Needs Assessment for Cochise County in 2018. Their statistics showed that:
- There is a need for a 20% increase in workers to provide substance abuse treatment services.
- There is a need for a 33% increase in workers to offer educational alcohol and substance abuse programs for youth.
- 35% of people believe that alcohol abuse is the biggest health problem the community is currently facing.
- 46% of the people would like to see improved alcohol and drug abuse treatment in the county.
- Among the adult population, alcohol addiction and mental health issues are among the most prominent concerns.
- 16% of people believe that mental health issues, in general, are the biggest health issue facing the people of Cochise County.
- 53% of the people would like to see improved mental health treatment provided to more people.
How Many Sierra Vista Area Alcohol Treatment Programs are There?
Although there are many people in the Sierra Vista area who do not know what treatment options are available to them, there are many they can choose from. According to SAMHSA, there are 21 alcohol rehab programs available with 50 miles of Sierra Vista.
These programs all offer various levels of care, and the following are available:
- Alcohol detox and medication-assisted treatment
- Inpatient alcohol rehab
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Partial hospitalization programs
- Outpatient therapy
- Long-term rehab programs
- Sober living homes
- Hospital inpatient detox and rehab
- Facilities that offer telehealth services
What are the Options for Alcohol Rehab in the Sierra Vista, Arizona Area?
One of the scariest parts about making a decision to go to alcohol rehab is not knowing what to expect. It can be very helpful for people to know what their options are prior to making a commitment to get help.
Sierra Vista has plenty of opportunities available for people seeking alcohol rehab. But they are not all going to be helpful for everyone. In fact, there are some that are better suited as a form of follow-up treatment. It is always best to get a professional recommendation before making this decision.
Alcohol Detox Programs
Recovering from alcohol addiction requires the person to go through alcohol detox. This is important because it can help to lessen the severity of withdrawal symptoms that occur when a person stops drinking. Sometimes alcohol withdrawal can be very hard to cope with, and it can even develop into a more severe form of withdrawal called delirium tremens, or DTs. DTs can be fatal if the condition is not treated right away.
Today, researchers have found the best options for a safe and healthy alcohol detox. Medication-assisted treatment is highly recommended because it utilizes both behavioral therapy and FDA-approved medications to help change unwanted behaviors and relieve withdrawal. It is often the most effective method.
There are several Sierra Vista alcohol detox facilities that offer MAT. We highly recommend for patients to go through detox on an inpatient basis.
Many people begin recovering from alcoholism by going through inpatient rehab. There are several quality inpatient treatment programs located near Sierra Vista. Patients are required to go through the detoxification process upon arrival, and many facilities offer this service in-house.
Inpatient treatment lasts for 28 days, which includes the time patients spend detoxing. When that phase of recovery is finished, they will transition into therapy and rehab. At that point, they will participate in various forms of therapy, such as:
- Group therapy sessions
- Family therapy sessions
- Individual therapy sessions
- Experiential therapy
- Creative therapies, such as art or music
Long-Term Rehab Centers
There may be some people with alcohol use disorder who need a higher level of care than what is available at an inpatient rehab. For these individuals, long-term rehab is usually the best option. There, they are able to stay for several months at a time while they work closely with their treatment team.
Sierra Vista has a few long-term rehab programs for people to choose from. These are usually necessary for people who have not done well at inpatient rehab, have a history of relapsing, or have been alcoholics for a long time.
Outpatient Treatment Options
A lot of people prefer the thought of going to alcohol rehab in Sierra Vista on an outpatient basis. This can be done, although it might not always be advisable for every situation. There are some more intensive outpatient rehab programs in the area that provide a level of care that is similar to inpatient treatment.
- Partial hospitalization programs – Partial hospitalization programs, or PHPs, offer treatment to clients during the day. They are also called day treatment programs. Clients come stay at the facility for the day while they receive therapy, medication management and other services.
- Intensive outpatient programs – Intensive outpatient programs, or OIPs, are there to provide a more flexible rehab option. They operate during the evening hours, which makes them very flexible. Clients come to appointments 3-5 evenings per week.
- Outpatient therapy and rehab – Outpatient therapy and rehab can work well as a form of follow-up care. But because clients only see their therapist for an hour or two as often as three times per week, it is not usually appropriate for someone who is new to rehab.
Sober Living Homes
Sober living homes may be a great option for people in Sierra Vista who need a safe, healthy place to live while they go to an outpatient alcohol rehab. They do not provide their own treatment, but can offer an encouraging environment for recovery.
Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous are two 12-Step programs that can provide people with peer support on an outpatient basis. The meetings are not run by professionals, but many people have benefited from attending them. There are several taking place every week in the Sierra Vista area.
Learn More About Finding a Quality Alcohol Rehab in the Sierra Vista, Arizona Area
At Springboard Arizona, we love that we get to work with people who have a sincere desire to stop drinking. We know how hard it can be to make the decision to get sober and go to alcohol rehab.
Our inpatient alcohol rehab program is among the best in the State of Arizona. We also offer detox services right at our facility.
Would you like to know more about finding a quality alcohol rehab near Sierra Vista, Arizona? We can help you. Please contact us today.